Saturday, October 4, 2008

Interesting Blog and Unrequited Love

Honestly, I dont know what to think about this blog.... Just about everyone I know has read it and me and my wife have been discussing it amongst ourselves. I have to admit, I almost dont believe that its real. I'm not saying it couldnt happen or isnt happening, I just think it could be cleverly engineered. I have to admit, I was hooked in like two sentences. Unrequited love holds a special place in my heart considering thats how I happened to end up with this fine woman:




Yeah I know, she's hot. And I'm skinny in that pic lol. See that look on my face? Thats the look of me winning.
A brief history: I moved to Logan in 2000. Nat was one of the first people I ever saw in the city and I remember her most of all for being the ward "flocker" and her eyes. So my roomies were in love with her and thats how I got to know her. For me, it was almost cliche to like Natalie H., in fact my bro who lived in Logan called her the Notorious N.A.T. because of her reputation as a flocker. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was in love with her. I can no doubt produce at least 20 credible witnesses to this fact. Most of them still read Nats blog.
Anyway, God Himself pretty much had to tell me that I liked her. I really, really didnt want to like Natalie H. So one day while praying she suddenly sprang to mind and God was like "YOU DO LIKE HER, SO GET USED TO IT!!!". You know, how God does that still small voice thing that shakes the earth when He's talking thing. Yeah, it's happened a few times in my life two of which were in conjunction with that hot hot woman who's picture you can still see above. So the crush began. You may have noticed, Nat is much better looking than me. This is kind of, and continues to be, intimidating to me. I've even started a club called the "Hot wife, ugly husband club". Yeah it's thriving. So I spent the better part of the next year hiding my crush. I did make the mistake however of telling one of my good friends that I liked Nat. In fact I used this friend much in the same way that the girl in the afformentioned blog uses her blog. She was pretty much the person I used to obsess over Nat. This friend told everyone though. So yeah, it was good times having all of our mutual friends know that I liked Nat. It was a cliche to like Nat remember? Everyone liked her. EVERYONE.
So Nat moved next door to me and we hung out a lot. This is how I can relate to the bloggers feeling of torture. It was torture living next to Nat. It'd be like a heroine pig shacked up in the same room as the worlds largest stash of junk and being chained to the bed. The May of 2000 was the best time of my life in ways. The couple of months that followed were the exact opposite. Long and torturous. And then Nat's missionary came home. Yeah somehow in my mind I was still hanging on to the crush knowing she had a missionary. Good thing I am an R.M. and I know how those kinds of relationships went, haha. So she went and hung out with her boyfriend for a bit and then came back to USU.
K, this has dragged on for a long time, so here's an awesome Conchords video to listen to while you take a potty break or get a drink or something. Or go check out some other blog, cuz it's gotten old.....




I remember seeing her that first time after she came back. My brain had built it up quite a bit. So naturally she hardly acknowledged my existence lol. For those who may not know, I tend to being a little obsessive when thinking about things. Thats how I can write story notes in one fell swoop. So yeah, Nat came back. And she was a changed woman. And I hated it. So I buried the crush and disappeared. We didnt hang out. I didnt see her for the whole fall semester of 2000. I even chased after another girl, but once someone is placed on the pedestal, she isnt easily removed. Anyway, things went their course with her boyfriend and they broke up cuz he's a player. All that time I still ran into mutual friends who for some reason always kept me updated on Nat's current status. It was good times.

Anyway, I heard that she had broken up with the missionary and my heart caught a glimmer of hope. We had always been good friends before. So yeah, I reappeared one day out of the blue. Her roomies questioned my motives. I didnt care. This was in November. About a month later an impossible set of circumstances occurs which I will not mention here, but the outcome is the impossible. I'm of the opinion that God will not tell you who you are going to marry. I've actually had girls tell me that God told them that we were going to get married. I always pretty much laughed in their faces. So in this instance God told me that me and Nat were going to get married. I was serious stunned and losing sleep over it. I didnt believe and laughed about it. It wasnt going to happen. It was about this time that God put the plan into effect.

I went back to Logan armed with this knowledge that I didnt believe. Nat was there working for a CPA doing tax stuff. I went home early and we were the only people in Logan at the time so we naturally spent a lot of time together. I wasnt sleeping well, this excited energy woke me up every night. It was awful. And then I would sit and stew about Nat. All night. One night I was praying and God told me I had to tell Nat how I felt about her. I wasnt going to do it. Ever. The next day I was with Nat and the perfect opportunity to make a confession appeared. I think she even asked me point blank if I was interested in someone. I sat there shocked with what I'm sure was a stupid look on my face. Well stupider than normal. I chickened out. This happened again the next day. I chickened out. The next day she was going to her sisters wedding and I knew I only had one more chance to do it. I didnt. So I did the most shameful thing ever and sent her an email confession. Yeah, really manly of me I know. I wish I still had it.

Needless to say it was the talk amongst our mutual friends for a bit until Nat came back. Nat had even called one of our friends to ask if I was lying or not. Holy cow this is turning into a wall of text.

So yeah, Nat came back. We DTR-ed and she shot me down. I walked home that night relieved, like it was all over. But God told me then and there that it had only begun. Needless to say, that was like the first domino in the chain reaction that led to June 21, 2002 when me and Nat got married. There are a lot more details I left out, but I'm sure you've already gotten bored, all two of you (one of whom is Nat) and moved on to someones elses blog.


I guess the bottom line and my point of writing this is that I married someone who I had unrequited love for for years. Yes I'm serious, it took me years to catch Nat. So if I was Cordy, I'd already confess. Seriously. Knowing what I know now, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't think she should move on until she knows. For real. You'll never know if good old clueless Seth could/would/should ever like you until you lay your cards out on the table. I know it sucks. Writing that email was still one of the most cowardly and difficult things I've ever done. Ever. But at the end of the day, Nat is mine. Forever. And all that effort and all the pain and suffering were worth it. And I walked through fire to get her. I sometimes feel sorry for other guys cuz they dont have as awesome a wife as I do. That'd be a whole blog in itself.


P.S. Did I mention the hotness? Look at her, she is a total babe. And yeah that wasnt really a brief history was it?

8 comments:

Kar said...

Yes, Nat is hot. And a good lady. I laughed so hard - I didn't know Nat was called The Notorious N.A.T.! Hahaha! She really was an enormous flirt. I felt bad for all of those hundreds of guys who liked her. :)

Soozee Carmichael said...

ha ha ha ha ha...that's awesome B. You make me laugh. I think I tell you that in every comment, but its still true.I agree that you should just get it over with...remember me and that whole Craig thing. Yeah, I told him and then I got over him, but I don't think I could've gotten over him if I never had. And now looking back I see how he and I would have never worked out. EVER. So, it was a good thing.

Unknown said...

WOOOT I want the rest of the story...you know, the wall of text you LEFT OUT! :P LOL good story though, and great lady too. I love her to death, but then again, you probably already know that :)

Unknown said...

Oh and BTW... lduring that time that you guys were such good friends... like all two year of it... EVERYONE and THEIR DOG told nat she was going to marry you... just so you know :)

Amy said...

It was fun to hear the brief (ha!) back story on that one. Since Jeff and I were in Provo and missed out on that entire story- until you were engaged. Maybe you can fill us in on the rest some time.
Oh- and you have more than two readers to your blog- just so you know.

Nat said...

"Hot wives/ugly husbands club"? How about "Lucky wives/awesome husbands club"? That's the REAL club we belong in!

You made me get a squirmy and blushy...

Mike said...

I was there...... I remeber every painful second of B wanting Nat the Nortorious N.A.T. Everyone was Notorious then except for the Stinker. The true wear down method worked and your a better man for it.

Becky said...

I Becky Lee Taylor - Tyler (aka Love Chunks the midget hater) being of sound mind and body would like to here by witness that everything that Pete says is true. He did leave out minor details him showing up at my house taking my will away so we could partake of the blessed Wendy's dollar menu as he went on and on about the chicken voice that was taking him over and the backdoor aproach he was gonna use to get the Notorious N.A.T.. Low and behold it was done! As urban legend tells it he was in Logan to "Meet his eternal companion". And that is what he did.